Cortido ⎨Salvadoran Sauerkraut⎬


Cortido (aka curtido) is a variation on sauerkraut that comes from El Salvador. It is typically served alongside a dish called pupusas. ( Boy what I wouldn't do for a pupusa right about now ) You can use Cortido as a condiment or a side dish. 


This is so yummy and good for you. Traditionally it's made with pineapple vinegar, but I lacto-fermented mine. I've been messing around with fermentation here and there. Although now I think I'm going to take it to the next level. My friend Carly told me about this Fermenter's Club that meets here in San Diego and if possible I'm going to their next meeting. I can't wait. Until then I will be curing away on my very own.


P.S. If anyone local is interested in coming to a meeting with me, just drop me a line.


Cortido
from Nourishing Traditions
Makes 2 quarts


1 large cabbage, cored and shredded
1 cup carrots, grated
2 medium onions, quartered lengthwise and very finely sliced
1 TB of dried oregano ( I used a little more because I used fresh)
¼ - ½ t of red pepper flakes ( i used chipotle pepper flakes and 1 t )
1 TB sea salt
4 TB whey ( if not available, use an additional 1 TB of salt )


In a large bowl mix all ingredients. Pound with a wooden pounder or meat hammer for about 10 minutes to release juices. Place in 2 quart-sized, wide mouth mason jars and press down firmly with a pounder or meat hammer until juices com to the top of the cabbage. The top of the cabbage mixture should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jars. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage.

Labels: ,