For the love of indigo.


I don't know what it is about indigo that keeps me so captivated. It might be it's high contrast, the new age belief that it influences our intuition and perception, or it's long history.

It's both a color and a dye. It's been fought over until it was able to be synthesized in the late 1800's. Indigo has been utilized in art and textiles for centuries in Japan, Africa, Indonesia, Thailand, and Ancient Britain. Just to name a few.

It holds my attention and I just want to wrap myself in it. I even ( kind of ) enjoy it's pig shit scent when dying with it.

Any of you have a favorite indigo piece that you have had forever? Have you dyed with it?

images via ( from top left to right ): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ( bought it ) | 8 | 9

P.S. Folk Fiber has some great blog posts on natural fabric dying.  

Labels: , ,